This delicious and easy recipe is a lot of fun to make and is perfect for cold weather evenings.
We have modified it slightly. For the lack of Korean stone bowls we used a wok to prepare 3 portions together.
We added scallions, snow peas and doubled the amount of carrots. We used chili garlic sauce instead of gochujang sauce.
Chicken & Kale Bibimbap
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 1 tsp olive oil
- ½ chicken breast
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cooking oil, divided
- ½ inch ginger, roughly chopped
- ½ cup kale leaves
- ½ cup broccoli florets
- 3 baby bok choy heads
- 1 carrot
- ¼ medium onion
- 1 egg
- gochujang, to serve
- Chop the chicken breast into strips. Place in a bowl with the soy sauce, ginger, and garlic to season.
- Prep the vegetables by first washing them thoroughly. Julienne the carrot, onion, and bok choy leaves. Roughly chop the kale leaves.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil, blanch all the vegetables except for the onion in the water for 30 seconds. Strain well and set aside.
- In a non-stick pan, heat ½ tsp cooking oil on high heat. Pour chicken with seasoning into the pan and stir-fry for about 2 minutes until meat is cooked through. Set cooked chicken aside.
- In your favorite egg pan, heat ½ tsp cooking oil and fry egg sunny-side-up. Remove from heat.
- To assemble bibimbap: Coat the bottom of the stone bowl with olive oil. Scoop the rice into the bowl and level as much as you can. Place the vegetables and chicken strips on top in sections. Finally, place the egg in the center.
- Place the stone bowl directly on the stove on medium-high heat for about 10 minutes or until you hear continuous sizzling sounds.
- Remove bowl from heat carefully (very hot!) and serve with gochujang.